GiveMeRomance

Give Me Romance

Maiden Behind the Mask - Tara Chevrestt Follow this review and others at http://romantichistoricallovers.wordpress.com/

3.5 stars rounded up to 4!

It took me a little extra time to fall into the story of the Maiden Behind the Mask as Tara Chevrestt’s writing style is a little different than I am used to. Her writing is a bit more formal than most writers of this genre. That being said, once I adjust the way I read to meet her writing style, I fell into the story and couldn’t put it down. I found myself pulled in by Ricardo and Catalina.

Catalina was a breath of fresh air to me. She started out as your typical wellborn lady. She used a parasol to protect her skin, she didn’t know how to defend herself, and she did as her parents asked her to. When she was attacked in an alley, she decided to not be helpless anymore. She took matters into her own hand and learned how to defend herself. She went on to take it one step further and seek out those that would harm others. The entire time she did this, she managed to keep everyone around her from finding out, for a while.

Ricardo Garcia is not your typical hero from most romances either. While he’s a handsome man, he’s not being chased and fawned over by all the eligible women in town. He comes across as your slightly above average gentleman.

I really liked that about both of these characters. They are more real, closer to what most of us encounter on the street. That’s refreshing to me after reading so many books with the MC being fawned over by the opposite sex. Don’t get me wrong, I still love MCs that are to do die for and drop dead gorgeous alpha characters. I just found this to be a breath of fresh air!

There was a bit of tension in the book between the MCs. I like tension. The tension that arises between Ricardo and Catalina is real and not contrived. It flowed nicely with the story and was completely believable. The resolution to this tension worked nicely with the story as well. I didn’t feel it was too easy or contrived.

This is a fabulous short story and I look forward to reading more from Tara!

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.