GiveMeRomance

Give Me Romance

Simply Scandalous - Kate Pearce This review will appear at http://romantichistoricallovers.wordpress.com/ on December 24, 2012

Simply Scandalous is perfectly scandalous! It’s a wonderful, hot , erotic, historical romance that spans continents and years. I loved every minute of decadence contained in this story.

So, what’s there to love about Simply Scandalous? Well, everything! What does this story not have? It has spies, romance, secrets, kidnapping, inter-racial relationships, brothels, intrigue, conspiracy, bastille survivors, and cross-dressing, just to name a few!

Richard Ross spent years in France as a spy. While he was there, he met and fell in love with a French Spy, Violet LeNy. He watched her die, and with it, his ability to love. Years later, he meets her again, but not as he expected! Violet needs his help, but can he see past the deception and lies she put him through? Will he help her? Or, will her life be forfeit?

I was intrigued by this story from the very beginning. We have a member of the peerage married to a survivor of the French Bastille (doing anything to survive), who once ran a brothel. Now her son runs it! Not only does her son run it, but the rest of the family tends to “hang out” at the Pleasure House. Inside the Pleasure House, anything goes. If you can imagine it, you can find it there!

Emily, Richard’s sister, is in love with Ambrose, an African man who works at the Pleasure House. Richard is accused of loving men and Violet is back from the dead! It just keeps going from there!

Each time we visit the Pleasure House, exquisite pleasures are described in detail and it’s HOT and explicit! In between visits to the house, we have a mystery to solve. Who is killing off the former spies of England? Who is the elusive Mr. Brown? What is Violet hiding? On top of that mystery, we have a mystery surrounding Richard’s father and sister. When will this poor family get a break? I guess it’s true, when it rains, it pours!

All of these problems stem from the problems surrounding the life and times in England in the 1820’s. Marriages were arranged, no matter if they loved each other or not. The French Revolution is over, the after math is still being felt by those that were part of it. England is spying on France and France is spying on England. All of the spying and arranging of people’s lives for God and Country has everlasting affects. And quite often, the sins of the father are visited upon the children.

This is the first book in this series that I’ve read. While I realize I’ve missed some of the backstory on many of the characters, I did not feel lost at any point in time. I will definitely go back to read others in the series!

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley.